Saturday, September 09, 2006

Suicide Prevention Week

Choose Life

I was lucky enough to be invited to the Walk for hope this morning in Paisley, it meant that I had to for go visiting any of the doors open day attractions but it was worth it. I met among others a young girl with her dog called Milly, the workers in the choose life project and people who had been affected by suicide. I was greeted by the project managers one of whom used to be a geography teacher in my High School, so it is a MAJOR struggle to call her by her first name (sorry Rosemary!) but the day went swimmingly! There were around forty participants and in my welcome I pointed out how important the issue of suicide is, it shouldn't be a taboo one of the women who had been affected by it told me, if it saves ONE life it is working!

The walk took place through Paisley town centre with a piper, balloons and leaflets being given out to the sometimes bemused public, but I am sure once they were aware of the reason for the walk they were in full support. suicide

I would urge anyone who is thinking about suicide to speak to breathing space, Choose life or someone, it is not always the end, someone may be able to help, even if it is just to listen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must say this is a subject I know a bit about, It is a subject that needs awareness and not shut in a cupboard and hope it goes away. There is plenty of support out there you just need to look.
NEVER feel alone I assure you that you are NOT.
Suicide destroys generations
and causes guilt for the loved ones left behind, it is not an answer to the solution.
Please find another option as their is always options.


WEB DISCLAIMER

Please note all postings on this blog are of a personal nature and do not reflect the opinions of either Renfrewshire Council, the Scottish Labour Party or Renfrewshire Labour Group. NB No annonymous comments will be published on this blog if you have something to say have the courage to identify yourself.